SCHOOL POLICY—Hanover Park, Hoffman Estates, and Bartlett
Schools in these districts have dropped their “no nit” school lice policies. Children will not be automatically sent home if nits are found. This is based on research from and recommendations by the Center for Disease Control (CDC), American Academy of Pediatrics, the National Association of School Nurses, the American School Health Association, and the Harvard School of Public Health.
U-46 DISTRICT SCHOOL HEAD LICE POLICIES—Hanover Park and Bartlett
If suspected, the School Nurse will exam a student and notify the parent/guardian of head lice if it has been identified. Students may be released from school at the discretion of the parent/guardian. Education and information will be provided for the treatment and prevention of head lice to parent/guardians.
Students will not be be sent home from school due to head lice. The Illinois Dept. of Public Health and the Illinois State Board of Education are in favor of children remaining in school.
SD54 DISTRICT SCHOOL HEAD LICE POLICIES—Hoffman Park
This district has its policy spelled out step by step.
- The school nurse checks all students who may have lice.
- Any students found to have head lice will stay in school until the end of the day.
- If a child has lice, the nurse will call parents and discuss lice removal strategies.
- The nurse will advise parent to apprise parents of child’s close friends
- “Student come back to school the next day if treatment has been completed. If the parent does not follow through with proper treatment, the child with head lice will be excluded from school until treatment has been completed.”
- Children with lice will be examined by the school nurse upon return to school and one week later to verify that case is completely gone.
- If the child with lice is in preschool or kindergarten, the nurse may check classmates.
School Distric 54 Lice Management Practices
Call LiceDoctors in Hanover Park, Hoffman Estates and Bartlett at 312-765-7266 and your child can return to school with confidence and you will be educated by our technicians on how to avoid getting head lice again. Treatments are covered by HSAs and FSAs. All treatments are done in your own home by a professional lice technician and come with a full guarantee.