You may feel embarrassed, as well as upset when you find head lice in your family. There is an unfair stigma that lice dirty hair go hand in hand. So what is it? Lice dirty hair or clean?
Do Lice Like Oily Hair?
Lice are fans of ALL sorts of hair, however, do lice like oily hair? You may be surprised to find that lice prefer hair that is not oily over hair that is oily because it is easier for them to grab hold of the hair. Think about it like this, it’s easier to grab a rope and get a grip on a dry, clean rope than an oily rope. Many people think that head lice dirty hair go together when actually the opposite is true; the reality is lice don’t like dirty hair.
So Do Lice Like Clean Hair?
For the reason mentioned previously, lice like clean hair. Hair that is not coated with oil or a product such as a lice repellent or mousse or gel is easier for the bugs to grab onto to infest a new head; it is also easier for them to maintain a grip on clean hair once they have made themselves at home. So, unlike what you may have heard, lice and clean hair are more compatible than lice and dirty or oily hair.
What Are The Risk Factors to Get Lice?
There are a number of factors that may put an individual at risk of getting head lice. While there is no 100% guaranteed way to ensure you or a family member never gets head lice, there are a few factors that may put an individual at an increased risk of getting a case of head lice. Here are a few of the most common:
- Close contact with an individual who has an active case of head lice as lice are passed via head to head touching
- Clean hair as lice prefer clean hair over dirty hair
- Hair that is left down especially when it is long and thick as it is more available to the bugs
- Families with school-aged children are at an increased risk of getting head lice as young kids are in close contact with each other
- Individuals who like to hug (such as small children) due to the close head to head contact
- People who take selfies often with other individuals put themselves at increased risk when their head touches another person’s head.
What to Do If I Get Lice?
Don’t panic! If you get lice, start by educating yourself. Of course, treatment is required. We recommend our all-natural head lice removal techniques and follow-up plan, but there are other options. Do your research and choose the option that fits your family best - and don’t forget to include a follow-up to ensure the case is gone and does not return.
Questioning do lice like clean hair or dirty hair is natural. Whether your hair is clean or dirty, if you’ve found lice in your hair we can help you. With a track record of treating nearly 600,000 satisfied clients, LiceDoctors is the company with the expertise and guarantee that your technician will get rid of your lice and nits. Call LiceDoctors day or night at 800-224-2537 to put an end to your lice aggravation!