Updated on July 18, 2020
Montgomery County schools still maintain a strict “no nit” policy when it comes to head lice. This means that students who are found to have head lice will be sent home immediately and not allowed to return until all lice and eggs or nits have been eliminated.
Exclusion from School for Pediculosis (Head Lice and/or Nits)
- Head checks of all elementary students will be made periodically throughout the year by the school nurse. Also, any student suspected of head lice or nits will have his/her head inspected by the school nurse. If lice or nits are found, the student will be sent home.
- The parent/guardian or authorized party will be contacted so the student will be able to be taken home. Instructions for the treatment will be given to the parents.
- After the student’s hair is properly treated and every nit removed from the hair, the parent/guardian will return to the school with the student along with the medication which was used to treat the student’s hair. The nurse will inspect the hair in the presence of the parent/guardian or designee and if the student is NIT FREE, he/she will be permitted to resume school activity. If nits are still present, the student is returned home for additional treatment. Procedure for re-entry will be repeated. The nurse will inspect the student’s head once per day. The student’s hair should be dry and free from styling prducts when checked by the nurse.
- Parents are responsible to provide transportation to and from school until the condition is cleared.
- All days resulting from this exclusion in excess of three calendar days will be declared illegal.
- A form will be sent home with each student notifying parents that a case or cases of head lice have been found in their child’s classroom.
Source: Montgomery Elementary Handbook
LiceDoctors is the best option when your child’s school continues to hold to “no nit” lice policies. Your technician can be at your home today to quickly and effectively remove the lice and nits from your child’s hair so she/he can return to school right away. Call 215-344-1413 today.