Updated on June 25, 2020
LAKEWOOD AREA SCHOOLS
The Lakewood School District adheres to a “no nit” policy.
Lice, scabies: children may not return to school until they have been treated and are free of lice and nits (eggs).”
Source: Lakewood SD Health Services
PARKLAND AREA SCHOOLS
Parkland schools adhere to the following policy, which is more lenient:
“Students diagnosed with head lice can remain at school and finish the school day. However, as soon as head lice are diagnosed, the school should take the following actions:
- The school nurse should instruct the affected student not to share combs, brushes, caps, pillowcases or other items touching the head or worn near the head, until the student is free from nits and lice.
- The nurse should notify the student’s parent/guardian that the student has head lice.
- The nurse should provide instruction to parents/guardians on appropriate treatment, such as special combs and shampoos to remove nits and lice. The student should begin treatment at home that day, after school.
- The student should be allowed to return to school if appropriate treatment has begun.
- Parents/guardians need to be diligent and consistent in daily treatment to remove nits and lice.
- The school nurse should follow-up with parents/guardians periodically to ensure that treatment is continuing.
- Parents/Guardians should also be instructed to wash items that may have contact with the student’s head or worn close to the head.
- Students do not need to be excluded from school until they are completely free from nits or lice. Students can return to school if appropriate treatment has begun and can remain in school if treatment continues until the student is free from nits and crawling lice.”
Source: Tacoma Pierce Co Health Dept.
We guarantee your child can return to school after being treated by an experienced technician. Contact LiceDoctors in Lakewood and Parkland at 206-316-8637 and let a LiceDoctors tech take care of the rest.