Sonoma County Public Schools
More information: www.gamutinline.net Sonoma County schools have eliminated their "no nit" lice policy and now permit students with nits to remain in school with the following stipulations:
- "The Sonoma County Superintendent of Schools recognizes that head lice infestations among students require treatment but do not pose a risk of transmitting disease. The County Superintendent or designee shall encourage early detection and treatment in a manner that minimizes disruption to the educational program and reduces student absences.
- The County Superintendent or designee may distribute information to parents/guardians of preschool and elementary students regarding routine screening, symptoms, accurate diagnosis, and proper treatment of head lice infestations. The County Superintendent or designee also may provide related information to school staff.
- School employees shall report all suspected cases of head lice to the school nurse or designee as soon as possible.
- If a student is found with active, adult head lice, he/she shall be allowed to stay in school until the end of the school day. The parent/guardian of any such student shall be given information about the treatment of head lice and encouraged to begin treatment of the student immediately and to check all members of the family. The parent/guardian also shall be informed that the student shall be checked upon return to school the next day and allowed to remain in school if no active head lice are detected.
- Upon the student's return to school, the school nurse or designee shall check the student for active head lice. If it is determined that the student remains infected with head lice, the school nurse or designee shall contact the student's parent/guardian to discuss treatment. As needed, he/she may provide additional resources and/or referral to the local health department, health care providers, or other agencies.
- If a student is found consistently infested with head lice, he/she may be referred to a multidisciplinary team, which may consist of the school nurse, representatives from the local health department and social services, and other appropriate individuals, to determine the best approach for identifying and resolving problems contributing to the student's head lice infestations.
- When it is determined that one or more students in a class or school are infested with head lice, the site administrator or designee may, at his/her discretion, notify parents/guardians of students in that class or school and provide them with information about the detection and treatment of head lice.
- Staff shall maintain the privacy of students identified as having head lice."
Napa Valley Unified School District
The Napa Valley schools dropped their "no nit" school lice policy in 2007 to reflect the opinion of the California Department of Health to eliminate the "no nit" policy as students had been missing too much instructional time. Students are allowed to return to school with nits after they have received treatment at home.
Santa Rosa City Schools
www.srcs.k12.ca.us (pg 11) "Keeping your child at home: Please keep your child at home for any of the following conditions:
- bloodshot eyes
- fever (for at least 24 hours after a normal temperature)
- lice (head or body)
- sore throat Upon returning to school after an absence, your child should bring a note stating the date of absence and reason for absence; this note must be signed by the parent or guardian."
Call your school nurse to be sure that that you have the most updated school lice policy information. LiceDoctors will make a house call to your home according to your needs. We treat you and your family in absolute privacy to provide you with a confidential and convenient experience. LiceDoctors has an "A" rating with the the Better Business Bureau and we have a medical doctor on-staff. We come to you day or night, weekdays and weekends. Call us in Sonoma or Napa and surrounding areas from early morning until late at night at 707-227-1370. [button link=" http://www.licedoctors.com/california/sonoma-napa-lice-treatment-service.html" color="slate_grey" target="_self" size="large" icon_before="bug"]Learn About Our Lice Treatment Service