Both Palmdale and Lancaster School districts will allow students to remain in class if they have nits only. If live lice are found, the students’ parents or guardians will be notified and they will be sent home to begin treatment.
The Governing Board recognizes that head lice infestations among students require treatment but do not pose a risk of transmitting disease. The Superintendent or designee shall encourage early detection and treatment in a manner that minimizes disruption to the educational program and reduces student absences.
The Superintendent or designee may distribute information to parents/guardians of preschool and elementary students regarding routine screening, symptoms, accurate diagnosis, and proper treatment of head lice infestations. The Superintendent or designee also may provide related information to school staff.
School employees shall report all suspected cases of head lice to the school nurse or designee as soon as possible.
If a student is found with active, adult head lice, he/she shall be allowed to stay in school until the end of the school day. The parent/guardian of any such student shall be given information about the treatment of head lice and encouraged to begin treatment of the student immediately and to check all members of the family. The parent/guardian also shall be informed that the student shall be checked upon return to school the next day and allowed to remain in school if no active head lice are detected.
Upon the student's return to school, the school nurse or designee shall check the student for active head lice. If it is determined that the student remains infected with head lice, the school nurse or designee shall contact the student's parent/guardian to discuss treatment. As needed, he/she may provide additional resources and/or referral to the local health department, health care providers, or other agencies. Source: Palmdale SD Gamut online
The Board is committed to maintaining a healthy environment for students and staff. To fulfill that commitment, the Board establishes this policy to provide guidelines for the prevention and control of head lice in students.
At any time during the school year, the school nurse may examine a student for head lice. If nits are present, the student may remain in school. If live lice are identified, the following procedures shall be implemented:
- The student will be excluded from school until treatment is concluded.
- The parent/guardian will be immediately contacted to pick up the student. If the parent/guardian cannot be contacted or come to school to pick up the student, the student will not be returned to class and will be sent home as usual with a School District of Lancaster notification form stating the need for treatment before returning to school.
- The school nurse will provide information to the parent/guardian regarding treatment.
- The school nurse will examine the student's siblings and other close contacts.
After treatment has been completed and all live head lice have been removed from the head, the following procedures shall be implemented:
- The student shall not attend classes until examined by the school nurse.
- The parent/guardian shall accompany the student to school.
- If upon examination the student is found to have live head lice, the student will be denied admission. If nits are present the student may remain in school.
- After the student has been cleared to return to classes, the nurse may continue to check for head lice or nits because of the risk of reinfestation. The student will be checked as often as deemed necessary by the nurse.
As the student's education is of the utmost importance, no student will be excluded from school for more than two (2) weeks for head lice, unless some means of alternative program is provided. The student may return to school as soon as treated, but only three (3) days will be counted as excused absence.
Source: Lancaster SD Board Policies
Whether you live in Palmdale or Lancaster or another nearby school district, LiceDoctors is the best choice for getting rid of head lice once and for all. Call today at 310-923-9787 for same-day service.