It can be challenging to determine what course of action is required if your child develops a case of head lice, so it is always prudent to check with the health management team at your child’s school. Schools in the Longmont area may not adhere to a strict no-nit policy.
St. Vrain Valley School District
Head Lice Information
In accordance with The American Academy of Pediatrics, National Association of School Nurses and the CDC, St. Vrain Valley School District does not have a “No Nit Policy”. Management should not disrupt the educational process; head lice can be a nuisance but they have not been shown to spread disease.
- Cases of suspected head lice are brought to the attention of the school health clerk by either the classroom teacher or parents.
- The health clerk will check the student(s).
- Grade level and school wide head checks are not routinely done, however siblings and students with close contact to an affected student will be checked.
- Parents of students with live lice and/or nits are immediately notified so treatment can be started.
- Treatments for head lice include both over-the-counter products and prescription products. Parents are encouraged to follow directions on the manufacturer’s package. Hair combing with a nit comb to manually remove nits is highly recommended.
- Upon re-admission to school, the student is checked to ensure proper treatment has begun.
- If live lice and/or nits are seen, parent will be contacted for ongoing treatment recommendations.
- The affected students will be re-checked according to CDC recommendations.
- Continued checks are no longer necessary once a student has 2 negative checks.
Source: St. Vrain Valley School District Nursing Department
Head Lice: Your student may return to school only after treatment with lice shampoo.
Source: St. Vrain Valley Student Handbook
No one wants to get the call or note from school that their child has lice, but LiceDoctors is here to help make the process go more easily and successfully. Call 720-292-1991 for same day treatment so your child can be back in school right away.