Please note that students in Germantown and Gaithersburg school district will not be permitted to return to school until they are lice and not free. Below is the lice policy for both schools:
If a student in a school is suspected of having head lice —
- The person suspecting the lice infestation should contact the SCHN or SHRA or, if unavailable, a school-based administrator. The health staff will look closely through the hair and scalp of the student to determine if there are live lice and/or nits that are located 1⁄2 inch or closer to the scalp.
- If all observed nits are located 1⁄2 inch or more from the scalp, no further action is necessary.
- If live lice or nits located less than 1⁄2 inch from the scalp are identified, the SCHN or SHRA will call the student’s parent/guardian to inform him or her that lice infestation has been identified and to request that he or she pick up the student to obtain treatment. The health staff will review information contained in the Lice Treatment Letter with the parent, which includes information from the CDC on treatment, nit removal, and environmental precautions.
- If the parent/guardian is not available, the emergency contact person should be called and requested to pick up the student and should receive the Lice Treatment Letter to give to the parent/guardian.
- Parents/guardians will be informed that students identified as having live lice and/or nits located within 1⁄2 inch of the scalp must be treated with a
pediculocide and that nits located within 1⁄2 inch of the scalp must be removed before students can return to school. Parents/guardians are encouraged to remove all other nits to minimize confusion between new and old infestations.
C. Upon Return to School—
- The student should report to the health room accompanied by the parent/guardian.
- The SHRA or SCHN should inspect the student’s head to assure the absence of live lice and nits located within 1⁄2 inch of the scalp before the student may return to class.
- The parent/guardian should provide a note stating that the student has been treated with a pediculocide or provide a health care provider’s note stating the student does not have a live head lice infestation or viable nits.
Source: Montgomery Schools of MD
If your child has head lice and you want to get him or her back into school right away call LiceDoctors in the Germantown and Gaithersburg areas at 240-720-7491. An experienced technician will make a house call to you and clear your child. That's a guarantee!