Updated on July 23, 2020
Many schools in the Inland Empire maintain a strict "no nit" policy, and Fontana schools are no exception. Children with head lice and nits are not permitted in school. It is important for parents to check with their children's school to be sure that your child is ready to return to school. The head lice policy within the Inland Empire is relatively strict compared to other school districts across the country that are moving toward less stringent guidelines and allowing kids with some nits back into school after they have been treated.
FONTANA SCHOOL DISTRICT HEAD LICE POLICY
“ Criteria for exclusion: Visible active, adult head lice or nits (eggs). It is important for parents to notify the Health Office when they discover lice on their children. Your child will be excluded from school while you treat the head lice according to the guidelines below:
• The designated school personnel will inspect the head of any student reasonably suspected of having head lice/nits as soon as possible.
• If there are two or more students affected in any class, all students in the class shall be examined, and information about head lice shall be sent home to all parents/guardians of those students. Additional classrooms may be screened if students routinely change classes for instruction (i.e. reading/math groups).
• We check close contacts (i.e., best friends, other siblings, or students living in the home) of the excluded student for the presence of head lice or nits(eggs) as soon as possible and send form H-41 home with contacts.
• We inspect the heads of siblings of a student found to have head lice/nits (eggs). If siblings are known to be at another school within the District, the health assistant will alert the health assistant at that school.
• You child may return to school when you bring your child to the school’s health office or the Comprehensive Health Clinic at the District office with a note from the parent /guardian verifying treatment, and reexamination by the Nurse or the Health Assistant, and shows that all head lice or nits(eggs) have been removed. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD ON THE BUS. A parent/guardian must accompany the child.”
Please check with your child's school to confirm their policy as there may be some variation among districts. You can always call LiceDoctors at 909-266-2549 for help with your problem, or learn more about our Inland Empire based services now!