Updated on July 17, 2020
There is no shortage of mis-information about head lice. Without accurate information, you may spend a lot of wasted time trying to get rid of lice. Below are facts:
- No one is immune to head lice.
- Lice are parasites that require human blood to survive. (https://www.medicinenet.com/head_lice/article.htm)
- Lice are brownish, have six legs, and are wingless. (https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/head-lice-nits)
- Head lice infestations are NOT due to poor hygiene (https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/contagious-skin-diseases/head-lice)
- Lice can live for 30 days and mature bugs lay 6 to 10 eggs a day.
- There are 3 stages of lice development: nit (egg), nymph (baby bug), and adult louse. (http://m.findfast.org/facts-about-lice.htm)
- Head lice is the second leading cause of school absenteeism after the common cold.
- Lice are now dubbed “super lice” because of their resistance to chemical lice treatments.
- Pets can not get head lice.
- The overwhelming majority of head lice cases are spread through direct head-to-head contact. (https://www.webmd.com/children/ss/slideshow-lice-overview
Keep these facts in mind when figuring out your best path of lice treatment. For professional lice removal right in your own home, call LiceDoctors at 415-578-1245 in the Fairfield area. We have successfully treated over 450,000 clients and we can help you as well!