Updated on July 17, 2020
By Karen Keavey
Talking to your kids about lice is something you need to do with care. You want them to know that lice are common and not dangerous, and that, if they have it, the lice can be eradicated.
The last thing you want to do is freak out your children, upset them, make them think that this thing is incurable, or, most importantly, that it is somehow their fault. Like any sensitive subject, it should be handled with care. Some smart steps include:
Don’t belabor the point – Once you realize that your children have lice, you can talk to them directly and as simply as possible. Associating lice with something they’ve already had will make it easier for them to understand and to get more comfortable with the fact that that it can and will be taken care of and gotten rid of asap. If you’re child has had chicken pox, a rash, or mosquito bites, you can comfortably offer these as examples of something that has come and gone without any serious effect. Yes, you got a bite, yes it itched, and yes, we can make it go away, no problem!
Let them know that lice is super common --- even movie stars get it!
Make sure your kids know that friends have had it, relatives have had it, and a boatload of others have had it too. Knowing that they’re not alone in this works wonder as does throwing in a few big star names. Heidi Klum, Britney Spears, Jennifer Garner, and Robert Pattinson have all gone public with their cases of lice --- to name just a few! Let them know they’re in good and famous company!
Give them nuthin’ but the facts, ma’am.
It’s good to be armed with the facts. A little goes a long way. Keep it simple!
- Lice are extremely common! Between 6-12 million U.S. kids 3-11 years old get head lice each year.
- The buggers are NOT dangerous ---just contagious (and annoying – very!).
- They do NOT spread disease.
- They are NOT a sign of unwashed or unclean hair.
- They can be gotten rid of.
Make LICE REMOVAL fun.
By turning the lice eradication process into a fun one, you can further substitute any bad lice karma that hits your kid(s) with some good vibes. If you’re creative enough, you can turn any event into a party…
Here are a few ways:
- Arm your kids with their favorite movies, videos, and handheld electronic game content. They may need to stay in one place for a while so making sure they’re engaged is key. Extra time absorbing go-to entertainment can be the treat they don’t usually get on a school night!
- Pedicure and manicure time – this can be a great time for that nail or toe art to practice on your girls! (since their hair is longer and make take more time, it’s a good activity to add into the mix).
- A great time to drill on those times tables, homework questions, or discuss something of interest you haven’t had the time to do because you are running around so much. What kind of next birthday party to have, gifts for relatives, names for the new puppy (the new PUPPY?).
Lice isn’t forever; may you find some calm in its unveiling and joy in its ultimate demise…….
LiceDoctors will dispatch a lice technician to your Akron or Cuyahoga Falls home to make the process as easy as possible for you. No dragging your kids to a salon! Our prices are affordable, payable with FSAs or HSAs and by some insurance plans, and treatment is guaranteed to work. Remember LiceDoctors is Ohio’s only lice treatment and nit removal service with a medical doctor on staff. We have the backing of physicians, school nurses, and over 450,000 successfully treated clients! Call today at 216-273-6802 and your tech will arrive to treat you whenever you need her. Make an Appointment Today!