Updated on July 17, 2020
Melbourne and Palm Bay are both served by Brevard Public Schools, which allows students with nits to attend school, but not students with live lice.
PALM CITY/STUART AREA SCHOOL HEAD LICE POLICIES
The following procedure will be used by clinic staff/school administration when a student at school is observed to be infested with live head lice:
- The parent/guardian will be notified by the end of the school day.
- A fact sheet on education and treatment of head lice will be sent home. This will include a statement to be signed by the parent/guardian that treatment was done.
- For a student to be re-admitted to school following live lice infestation, he/she must be checked, have no live lice, and have a statement signed by parent/guardian that treatment was done.
- If no nits are found further, rechecking will not be done.
- If nits are found, the student will be admitted and rechecked in 8-10 days.
- If live lice are found, the student will not be readmitted and the entire procedure will need to be repeated.
Source: Brevard County School Handbook
If you live in Melbourne or Palm Bay and choose LiceDoctors, we will guarantee that your child can return to school the next day. Simply call 772-879-5671 for service day or night anywhere in the Treasure Coast. Service is covered by some insurance plans and by HSAs and FSAs.